Nominate a School Librarian for the
Walter J. Taranko Award
The WJT Award is intended to honor individuals who have made a significant contribution to the library media profession on the local and/or state levels
1. The WJT Award includes an engraved plaque for the recipient and a cash donation made in the name of the recipient is given to the recipients' school library media program .
2. The WJT is warded annually at both the recipient's school/district and at a MASL conference or event.
3. Nomination may come from:
- MASL members and/or
- teachers and administrators
- Maine Department of Education or Maine State Library staff.
4. Deadline for the nominations: Feb 15th each year
5. All applications received will be acknowledged by an email confirmation from the MASL Business Office.
6. Once the nominations deadline has passed, all nominations will be reviewed by the Awards Committee and their recommendation will be sent to the MASL Board for approval. After the Board has approved the recommendation the nominator of the winning candidate will be contacted to arrange presentation of the Award at an appropriate school/district event (this may include surprising the winner if appropriate). The MASL Board will also honor the winner at an appropriate MASL event after the initial presentation in his or her school district.
7. Anyone who has been practicing in the field for three years, is working as a library media specialist in an capacity in Maine and is a member of MASL is eligible to be nominated for this Award. Although the award is presented annually and the major emphasis is for contributions made during the previous school year, earlier and continuing activities should be included in the recommendations and will be considered in the adjudicating process.
MASL also reserves the right to forgo presenting the WJT Award in years when there are no candidates or when the MASL Board determines that no candidate submission meets the requirements of the WJT Award.
Please direct questions to:
MASL@gwi.net or call the MASL Business Office (207)-441-1410
WJT Nomination Form 2013.doc